Saturday, February 2, 2013

January 2013 - Sorry I've been away.

I've been absent from the web lately. 2012 was not a good reading year for me - only completed 67 books all year instead of the 140-145 I usually average. 2013 is starting to look up as I have already read 21 books this year. (Although I do not think I will be able to keep this pace up all year.) My goal is 125 books for the year. I will rate all books this year on a scale of 1 - 5 stars.

I just finished To Love Anew (Sydney Cove #1) by Bonnie Leon. I gave the book 3 stars, meaning I liked it, bit wasn't wowed by it. It is classified as historical christian romance. The writing was OK - it flowed well, but it did seem something was missing throughout the book - not sure what.

Before that I finished Almost Kings by Max Doty and would give it 4 starts. This young adult coming of age story about a high school freshman and the big brother he idolizes. Very well-written - there was one point in the epilogue that blind-sided me and brought me to tears as it was happening, despite being in a busy food court on my lunch break. Recommend this one!

I also read The Husband List by Janet Evanovich and Dorien Kelly, a historical romance and gave it 4 stars. This is not your typical Janet Evanovich book, so fans of Stephanie Plum should be forewarned. A great light easy read!

A  fun and easy book called Dear Cupid by Julie Ortolon was given 4 stars. This was a fun and easy light read. Recommend this one for every romance fan!

Always the Designer, Never the Bride by Sandra Bricker was also given 4 stars. It was a fun romance. I look forward to finding the rest in the Emma Rae Creations series as this was the first I've read, despite being number 3 in the series

Target: Santa (A Holiday Black Ops Campaign) by Robert A Hoyt received 3 stars, although I really enjoyed this free Kindle book. I laughed while I read this wonderful short parody - and made sure my daughter downloaded it as well. Well written action adventure against a Santa set to rule the world.

Other books I've finished in January and their ratings:
Jacob's Daughter by Samantha Jillian Bayarr 4 stars
A Negotiated Marriage by Noelle Adams 4 stars
Irreparable Harm (Sasha McCandless Legal Thriller #1)  by Melissa F Miller 4 stars
The Calling of Emily Evans (Women of the West #1) by Janette Oke 3 stars
Worth the Weight (The Worth # 1) by Mara Jacobs 4 stars
Stealing the Dragon by Tim Maleeny 4 stars
Rapid Recipes for Writers and Other Busy People by Marsha Ward 2 stars (glad it was a free Kindle download!)
Cooking the Books by Bonnie S Callhoun 2 stars
Sweet Masterpieces ( A Samantha Sweet Mysteries #1) by Connie Shelton 3 stars
Summer at Willow Lake (Lakeshore Chronicles #1) by Susan Wiggs 4 stars
Harlequin Holiday Collection: Four Classical Seasonal Novellas and A Dead Guy in a Pear Tree/Seduced by the Season/Evidence of Desire/Season of Wonder  4 stars
A Christmas to Die For (The Three Sisters Inn #2) by Marta Perry 4 stars
The Knife's Edge by Stephanie Draven 2 stars
Notorious Nineteen  by Janet Evanovich 3 stars
A Killer Among Us (Women of Justice # 3) by Lynette Eason 4 stars

That sums up my January from the reading front - some mysteries, some thrillers, some young adults, some inspirational/christian, some historical and lots of romance - getting ready for Valentine's Day a little early.

See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment